Movie Facts:
Rating: PG-13
Genre: Drama
Release Date: March 12, 2010
Recommendation: Recommended to all to see at least once! :)
Spoiler Alert: On a scale between 1 and 5 (5 being blatant spoilers), the following review contains spoilers in the 2nd degree.
Synopsis:
"In the romantic drama Remember Me, Robert Pattinson plays Tyler, a rebellious young man in New York City who has a strained relationship with his father (Pierce Brosnan) ever since tragedy separated their family. Tyler didn’t think anyone could possibly understand what he was going through until the day he met Ally (Emilie de Ravin) through an unusual twist of fate. Love was the last thing on his mind, but as her spirit unexpectedly heals and inspires him, he begins to fall for her. Through their love, he begins to find happiness and meaning in his life. But soon, hidden secrets are revealed, and the circumstances that brought them together slowly threaten to tear them apart. Remember Me is an unforgettable story about the power of love, the strength of family, and the importance of living passionately and treasuring every day of one’s life." (rottentomatoes.com)
With a 27% on the TOMATOMETER (rottentomatoes.com), Remember Me:
"leads are likeable, but Remember Me suffers from an overly maudlin script and a borderline offensive final twist."
"Robert Pattinson can really act when he is supported by a great cast. As the film reached it's climax I slowly moved my hand over my mouth in shock." (Kevin Mcarthy, BDK Reviews)
Agreed, Pattinson was surprisingly pleasing, not only to the eyes, but all around his performance was great. With such a different role than those we have recently seen him in, like Twilight and New Moon, Pattinson was able to show us a much more dramatic character (in a realistic plot). Dealing with the heartbreaking loss of his older brother to suicide, Pattinson was obviously troubled, but never lost touch with his romantic potential as he fell in love with Ally (de Ravin). The plot never stops; dramatic moments fill each scene ranging from father-son issues, little sister-friend issues, to the obvious tyler-ally issues. Mr. Mcarthy was right, though, the climax (as well as many other moments of the movie) left me (and my three girlfriends) holding our hands over our mouths gasping.
"[The ending] shamelessly exploits a real-life event, an iconic moment whose heartbreak far eclipses anything this cheap melodrama contrives." (Sean Means, Salt Lake Tribune)
WOAH WOAH WOAH, NELLY! This is an intense critique. SO UNTRUE! First of all, the end of the movie comes a a complete shock as it is unlikely to be predicted, but in no way was this real-life event "shamelessly exploited". In no way was the event presented in an tasteless light. The topic was presented very respectfully and producers were very generous to the audience by taking things slow and not showing too many dramatic details of the event. I will not be saying what the event is, but I will say that it is time that we are able to move on and stop cringing at the mention of this horrible event. I think that it is now past the qualification of being "too soon".
"...too manipulative to set itself apart as truly original, but too emotionally invested to be completely dismissed." (Chris Barsanti, FilmCritic.com)
I think that this movie IS actually original. I can tell you that I have not seen anything like it and it is the second best movie I have seen in theaters in years (the first being The Blind Side, starring Sandra Bullock). I wouldn't use the term "manipulative" to describe this movie, but rather the word unpredictable and for this reason: it has been a very long time since I have watched a movie and not been able to predict what will happen when dramatic "something's about to happen" music begins to play. Sitting in the theater watching Remember Me, I sat anxious for minutes as I was not able to predict what was about to occur.....and I loved it! I left the theater wishing I had felt that feeling sooner while attending a movie, especially at the price we pay to see a movie in theaters these days....why do I want to pay for something that I can predict from start to finish??? I don't!
"A movie that surprises in many ways, one being how much better it is than expected." (Jackie K. Cooper, jackiekcooper.com)
Once again, completely agree. I entered the theater for this movie expecting (based on reviews I had heard from friends) a movie that would be good, but not one that I would exit the theater feeling good about watching or feeling like it was a good movie. I left very pleased and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie: giggles, laughs, and tears. The movie was NOT an upset (though this is completely and opinionated statement). I have heard many mixed reviews (as I have tried to show in this entry), but I have spent the entire "day after" thinking about this movie and how much I would enjoy watching it again. I wouldn't mind paying to see it again in theaters to show my support for it as it is lost in its bad reviews!
Have you seen Remember Me? What do you think about it? What do you think about my review? Comment below.






Hi Nicole! I just stumbled onto your site when I noticed I had actual followers. :)
ReplyDeleteI read the spoiler on the movie.
I'm trying to find a way to not say too much but...ultimately, any movie is worth seeing Mr. Rob Pattinson, aka Edward.
I think the worst part of this movie is you can't talk about the ending without giving it away completely! lol
ReplyDeleteI admit, it was very unexpected and I think people are taking the ending like it completely threw off the whole movie. But I think it was very original, I mean, no one has done an ending like this. Movies dealing with the event are extremely emotion with firefighters blah blah. All very understandable. But I think this didn't want to really focus on the event, just the person. I think it's hard for people to separate the one from the millions.
I don't know. I kinda wanna see it again. Just leave before the ending :P