Saturday, July 24, 2010

Nifty.

I know it's been awhile; my apologies. I say that as if each and every one of you were anxiously waiting at your computers for notifications of my blog.....

It has, in fact, been a long time; whether you feel it of not. A lot has been happening.....RAIN!!!!!

I may have told most of you this already, but I am cursed. It's true.....it has gotten to the point where people recognize that wherever I go.....the rain goes. My curse began recently when I suddenly inherited it form my father.....known as the "rain man" amongst our extended family. How lucky I am to have inherited this gift.....

I started a new job this week.....first day.....second day.....third day.....AND fourth day......RAIN! I am not just talking about a little sprinkle here and there....at some point, when I exit a building or get out of my car....RAIN! Obviously this problem I have is only made worse by.......HURRICANE SEASON......oh, how I dread hurricane season. I can't get over all of the "Thank goodness for this rain, we NEEDED it". What does that even mean?!?!?!?!? The only rain I like is when I am lying in bed under a lot of fluffy covers with nowhere to go!

Now, on to what I really planned on blogging about: COASTERS!
Yes, COASTERS, like those small round or square things that people use to prevent their cups from "sweating" all over their nice furniture. (also used for decoration).

Yesterday, I went shopping....could have been a big mistake, but this time it was just the opposite. I am touching base with my inner craftiness and decided that I would MAKE the pieces of art that I will hang in my office.....once again, could have been a big mistake....

Last night I successfully, and creatively designed and made my artwork. Then, I took it one step further. I made THESE babies:



Office COASTERS. 

I came up with the idea on my third day. I was drinking coffee in the morning in my ceramic mug and just out of habit felt that I needed something under the cup to protect my very clean new desk. So, I pulled out a handy pop-up post-it note and used it. After lunch, I had a little diet coke left over and with plenty of room on my clean desk, I thought I would keep it there beside me to finish it. Well, I had to pull out a new pop-up post-it.....I know, what a waste of paper ;)

I had left over material from my office "artwork", so I made these coasters out of the remaining material. Neat thing about these coasters is that they are fabric, so they are soft and WASHABLE. They are customizable and very unique. They can be tailored to fit in any room! I designed these especially for my office, but after successfully creating these, I tried some other fabric that I found right around the house. I made some from old shirts, old tablecloths, old curtains. You name it, it can be used for these little guys!

Check out some of the coaster sets I made:

BLUE:

BLUE front and back:



LEOPARD & ROSES:
backs are brown.


GREENS:
backs are green (same green as front).


Each set comes with four coasters.

backs are brown.


They can all the the same or all be different. Its completely up to you! They are the perfect size for most cups and will soak up all of the condensation from your cup rather than just create a pool on your coaster that you will later have to clean off before it rolls down onto the table you used the coaster to protect in the first place. ;)


Awesome way to spend my Saturday. 

I plan on making more coaster sets and sell them. If you are interested in buying a set of coaster from me, let me know and I would be more than happy to make you a set of coasters just the way you like it!



1 comment:

  1. haha, the rain has been horrible this summer!

    those coasters look amazing!! You should make an account on etsy and people can order them online! You're turning into quite the entrepreneur!!!

    ReplyDelete